Well, Here is a Good news, Folks! You can now root OnePlus 5. Thanks to XDA Senior Member xdvs23 who have come up with a stable enough build of the TWRP recovery for the OnePlus 5. Rooting OP5 is quite easy. So, to gain root access on OnePlus 5:
- Unlock Bootloader
- Install TWRP Recovery
- Then, gain root access
- Install ADB and fastboot on your PC if you haven’t already.
- Make sure your device battery is charged enough, preferably over 50%.
- Backup all your data as unlocking the bootloader will wipe everything off your device.
How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 5
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only
- Enable USB debugging and OEM Unlock on OnePlus 5 (To do so, go to Settings -> About Phone -> tap Build number 5 times. Now, go to Settings -> Developers Options -> Enable USB debugging & toggle on OEM Unlock)
- Power off your phone and wait till it’s completely shut down.
- Press and hold the Volume Up + Power button together until it boots into fastboot mode.
- Then, Connect your OnePlus 5 to your PC via a USB Type-C cable
- Now go to the ADB installation folder on your PC and open a command window inside that folder. To do that, “Shift + Right Mouse click” on any empty white space inside the folder and then select “Open command window here”.
- Now, to check everything is working fine, type the command given below and hit enter.
- The above command will show the serial number of your phone, this means your device is connected and everything is working fine.
- Type the command below to unlock your bootloader. Remember this will wipe everything on your phone.
fastboot oem unlock
- That’s all. Your OnePlus 5 bootloader should be unlocked now and you can install/flash a custom recovery like TWRP on it.
Install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 5
- Again go to the ADB installation folder on your PC and open a command window inside that folder if you have closed the previous one.
- Now, Boot your phone into fastboot mode and connect it to your PC.
- Enter the following command to flash the TWRP image file(rename the image file to recovery.img).
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- When the flashing is completed, manually disconnect your phone and then boot into Recovery using the Power + Volume Down buttons.
- Now your phone will boot into TWRP recovery.
- Swipe to allow modifications if asked.
Guide to Root OnePlus 5
Once you have successfully installed TWRP recovery, now rooting OnePlus 5 is quite easy.
- Download the SuperSU .zip file from the download section above and transfer it to your OnePlus 5’s root storage.
- Turn off your phone, Then, Boot into TWRP recovery.
- Select Install -> Locate the SuperSU Zip file -> Do Swipe right to Confirm Flashing.
- Wait for the Flashing procedure to complete, Once SuperSU is flashed, Reboot your device.
That’s all. Finally, you have rooted your OnePlus 5. To verify, You can download root checker app from the Play Store.